Last week, we featured 100 free software for your WIndows. This week, as promised, we roll out the 100 free software for Mac OS X.
We have spent a great deal of time sourcing these software for all of you. So if you love the list, don’t forget to share it with your friends.
System Monitoring and Maintenance Tools
- Mactracker – provides detailed information on every Apple Macintosh computer ever made, including items such as processor speed, memory, optical drives, graphic cards, supported Mac OS versions and many other information.
- Maintenance – a system maintenance and cleaning utility
- xMod – a system tweaker that allows you to change some of the hidden settings.
- iStat Menus – monitor your Mac from the menubar
- Mini Usage – displays various data like CPU usage, amount of network flow, battery status and process names
- SMARTReporter – warn you of some hard disk drive failures before they actually happen!
- Onyx – verify the startup disk and the structure of its system files
- atMonitor – system monitor and process explorer tool
- Omni Disk Sweeper – hard disk analyzer
- Secrets – A database of hidden settings for Mac OS X
System Enhancement Tools
- Preferences Cleaner – a utility which aims to simplify the task of deleting preference files.
- Wallsaver – use any screen saver as wallpaper
- SizeWell – better window resize and zoom options
- TrimTheFat – remove PPC architecture from applications
- Lock-UnMatic – unlock locked files
- QuickBoot – make it quick and easy to boot another drive/partition
- Hide-unhide – show hidden files
- Flying Windows – work in single application mode
- What’s Keeping Me? – empty the Trash or eject a disk
- BumpTop – 3D desktop
Office Suite/Word Processing/Text Editor
- NeoOffice – a port of OpenOffice
- IBM Lotus Symphony
- Siag Office – a free office package for UNIX
- Beans – a small, easy-to-use rich text editor designed to make writing convenient, efficient and comfortable.
- Editra – a multi-platform text editor with an implementation that focuses on creating an easy to use interface and features that aid in code development. Currently it supports syntax highlighting and variety of other useful features for over 60 programming languages.
- TextWrangler – a powerful general purpose text editor, and Unix and server administrator’s tool.
- Komodo Edit – a free and open source cross-platforms text editor.
- Smultron – an open source text editor for Mac OS X that is designed for both beginners and advanced users.
- Aquamacs Emacs – an Editor for Text, HTML, LaTeX, C++, Java, Python, Perl, Ruby, PHP, and more
Image Viewer/Image editor
- Inkscape – an open source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X
- LiveQuartz – a simple and powerful free photo editor based on non destructive layers and filters.
- Phoenix Slide – a fast full-screen slideshow program/image browser, for flipping through folders or disks full of images.
- Image Trick – a freeware application for editing your photos and images using Mac OS X Core Image filters.
- DrawBerry – If you don’t want applications such as illustrator or Inkscape and you want to create some simple (or less simple) illustrations, DrawBerry is for you.
- Paintbrush – a simple paint program for Mac OS X
- ialterImage – you can, crop, scale, size, rotate, convert and rename a single image or a folder of images by just dropping them on it’s icon.
- Acorn – an image editor built for the Mac with simplicity in mind. Acorn provides the tools you need to alter and enhance your images, without any overhead.
Software complementing iTunes
- iTunesShut – shut down your Mac after playing the music
- BravoTunes – put iTunes on your menubar, with scrolling or stationary track information for both the current and upcoming songs.
- SizzlingKeys – control iTunes without leaving the current app
- Get Lyrical – Auto-magically add lyrics to songs in iTunes!
- Tune.Instructor – informs you about actual track information and allows you to keep a quick access to ratings and further basic functions without having iTunes in the front
- iTunes Menu – displays the current song artist, name, and/or album right in the menu so you can see what song is currently playing easily.
- youcontrol: tunes – a simple app that allows you to control iTunes from Menu
- iTunes Doodad – instantly switch playlists, skip tracks, or pause iTunes, all without using the iTunes interface, or bringing up a pokey Dashboard widget.
- Bowtie – allows you to control iTunes with shortcuts, submits your songs to Last.fm, and change themes
- GimmeSomeTune – an application that extends iTunes’ functionality. You can download lyrics and album covers without the user having to do anything
- EasyFind – an alternative to or supplement of Spotlight and finds files, folders or contents in any file without the need for indexing.
- Quicksilver – A unified, extensible interface for working with applications, contacts, music, and other data.
- Think – enables you to get back to what you should focus, and get back to thinking.
- Isolator – When you’re working on a document, and don’t want to be distracted, turn on Isolator. It will cover up your desktop and all the icons on it, so you can concentrate on the task in hand.
- Spark – a powerful, and easy Shortcuts manager.
- FlyGesture – use your mouse to control a single action, or chains of actions such as opening applications.
- KeyRemap4MacBook – Remap your Mac shortcut key to your own preferences.
- MagicPrefs – useful preferences for magic mouse
- Self Control – an application which blocks access to mail servers and websites for a predetermined period of time, keep you focus on your work.
- Caffeine – prevent your Mac from automatically going to sleep, dimming the screen or starting screen savers.
- Spirited Away – Spirited Away checks each running application’s activity, and if an application isn’t active for a certain fixed time, Spirited Away hides the application automatically.
- Task Till Dawn – a free task scheduler which can execute your repetitive tasks at specified times or intervals.
- App QuitTimer – Quit any application automatically using a time delay of your choice.
- iSofa – remote control your Mac with your iPhone/iPod Touch
- MacTimer – a free all-purpose timer app for Mac.
Backup and Synchronization Tools
- Carbon copy cloner – create a carbon clone of your hard drive.
- iBackup – iBackup backs up the data, system and applications settings of a user.
- Sync!Sync!Sync! – helps you to make copies of your data by synchronizing two folders.
- Fruux – a lightweight and convenient system preference pane, that syncs your Address Book, Calendars, Tasks and Bookmarks between different Macs
- Filesync – a simple utility for updating copies of your current work.
- Backuplist+ – a powerful backup application that is simple for novice users and offers many choices for the more advanced user.
- WinClone – Clone your XP/Vista bootcamp partition
- SilverKeeper – automates backups to external storage devices
- MozyHome – Backup your data to online server.
- MaBuRe (English translation)– Backup mail.app and Thunderbird
- Adium – the most popular IM client in Mac
- Nimbuzz – another popular IM client. Support multi IM protocol.
- Messenger for Mac – access native MSN in Mac
- Canary – a Twitter client that is beautifully designed, fun to use and has everything you’ll ever need.
- ChatX – a collection of minor modifications and additions that make using Apple’s iChat more enjoyable.
- Yoono Desktop – an easy to use application that allows you to connect to all your social networks and instant messaging services
- Slices – an application that allows you to split and combine files.
- TarPit – allows you to easily create tar archives by drag and drop
- The Unarchiver – is designed to handle many more formats than the default Archive tool in Mac, and to better fit in with the design of the Finder.
- 7zX – a file archiver with high compression ratio
- YemuZip – an easy-to-use application for making zip files. Just drag, drop, name your zip file and you’re done.
Screen Capture Tools
- SimpleCap – Quick, easy and powerful Screenshot utility. SimpleCap runs on menubar.
- Capture Me – a flexible screen capture and recording utility for Mac OS X which features a floating capture window, several saving options, and resize ability.
- Skitch + Skitch.com – Skitch.com is a webservice that works hand in hand with Skitch to give you 1-click uploading of images for fast and fun image sharing.
- Jing – a popular application that allows you to take screenshots, screencast, edit them and share them instantly over the Web.
- InstantShot – offers classical screenshot functionality for capturing the whole screen, a portion of it or a window and also the option to make timed screenshots or to make delayed captures over time.
- SnapNDrag – lets you take a screenshot by just clicking a button and dragging the resulting screenshot off.
- AppCleaner – a small application which allows you to thoroughly uninstall unwanted apps.
- AppTrap – when you move an application to the trash, you’re automatically asked if you want to move the associated preference files as well.
- DesInstaller – a simple tool that reads the receipts generated when you install a pkg file with Apple’s Installer. Every file installed by this package is removed, even if it has been modified, and archived if you ask the DesInstaller to.
- Permanent Eraser – provides an even stronger level of security by overwriting your data thirty-five times, scrambles the original file name, and truncates the file size to nothing before Permanent Eraser finally unlinks it from the system.
Desktop Note taking app
- SlidePad – a convenient note-taking application that allows you to unobtrusively take notes without ever leaving your keyboard.
- Sidenotes – appears in the form of a multi-document drawer that will hide in the corner of your screen (left or right).
- JustNotes – a simple, beautiful and powerful notes app.
- QuickNotes – a combined stickies and clipboard manager, useful to quickly jot down ideas and todos, store quotes, code snippets or whatever.
- MacNote3 – a light-weight and fast notepad for Mac OS X
Image credit: cgauthier2112