Have you noticed some of the cool new screen savers in Mac OS X Mountain Lion? Many of them have nice effects like flashing and rotating colors, moving text, word of the day, iTunes artwork, and photo slideshows. Sure you can add the time to any screen saver that you choose, but what if you want your entire screen to display a clock?
An elegant alternative to Mountain Lion’s default screen savers is a simple flip clock – appropriately named FlipClock. This screen saver does one thing only: displays the current time. It’s a simple, yet comes in handy and looks nice.
So how do you get it on your Mac? Easy, just follow these steps:
1. Download the FlipClock file from the website, unzip the file.
2. Click on the .saver file in the FlipClock folder to install the screen saver; you can install it for all users or just yourself – useful if you have more than one user account on your Mac.
3. Type in your user password when prompted, to complete the installation.
4. Now select the FlipClock screen saver, listed under the “Screen Savers” section.
5. You’ll also want to disable the “show the clock” feature, since your screen saver itself is a clock. Surely you don’t need two clocks on the screen.
The final result is a large flip clock with a dark background.
Note: This screen saver only works with Mac OS X Lion (10.8).