Are you looking for an easy way to share your screen with one or more people? If you’re like me, you probably have Gmail open in it’s own tab 24/7. Because of this, a browser tool like Screenleap is sure to come in handy for you; it lets you share your screen instantly from within your Gmail or Google Apps email account.
Screenleap is really great because you don’t have to just stay on Gmail, you can browse to other websites, open new tabs, open other applications, and more. Screenleap is great for training purposes, presentations, meetings, and more. Just click the button and begin to share.
Note: You will need to have Java installed on your computer in order for Screenleap to work.
1. Add the Screenleap for Gmail extension to your browser; it’s available for Chrome, Firefox and Safari. For this tutorial, I’m using Google Chrome.
2. Go to your Gmail or Google Apps account. If you already have your email open, you’ll need to refresh the page.
3. You should see the Screenleap icon at the top of the page, next to the search bar in Gmail. Clicking on it will bring up the “share your screen” button.
4. Click on the “share your screen” button.
Note: You may have to give Java permission to run in Gmail; you can choose “run this time” or “always run on this site.”
5. Screenleap will begin to run and you’ll get a short link to give to others so that they can immediately see your screen. Once the link is clicked, they’ll see what you see. I tested this out fully with my husband, and it works great; it is a little choppy at times when scrolling and switching pages, but nothing out of the ordinary.
6. You can choose to share just what’s inside of the green rectangle, or share your entire screen. You can adjust the size of the rectangle to share just the part of the screen that you want.
7. Viewers of your screen will be able to see your screen in full size or they can fit it to their screen. They can also take the focus away from you and become a presenter. This means that you’ll transfer the screen sharing abilities to them.
8. Screen sharing can be paused or stopped at any time.
It’s as easy as that!