The release of Apple iPhone 4 left an impression that the second generation iPhones will be out of the scenes for good. But no, iPhone 3G is always as good as the day it has been released. It may not have the same functionality as the fourth generation, but still, you will not be left behind, technologically, if you have it. Now, that being said, I have something here for iPhone 3G owners — a step-by-step guide to jailbreak iOS 4.0.2 for your iPhone 3G to, at least, compete with others who have the latest model of iPhones and enjoy the features that iOS 4.0.2 offers. This one’s for Windows users alone. Mac users, I will publish another guide for you, too, in the near future.
Before you carry out the jailbreak, go through these notes and see if you are ready to perform the process;
- Be sure to backup your iPhone to ensure all your files can be restored after the jailbreak.
- Jailbreak will void the warranty; so, you are on your own right after you touch the firmware of your gadget.
- Make sure your computer is running iTunes 9.2 or later to perform this process successfully.
- After jailbreak, make your iPhone secure as jailbreaking does not only open the limitless possibilities but also make it less secure.
- You should know that RedSn0w will not unlock iPhone 3G, but UltraSn0w does. Furthermore, you cannot use it for iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4.
First Things First
There are three files you should download before you can proceed.
redsn0w_win_0.9.5b5-5.zip – this is the main application that you will be using to jailbreak iOS 4.0.2 on your iPhone 3G. Click here to download RedSn0w; it is a .zip file which contains four files namely: credits.txt, license.txt, README.txt and the main application redSn0w.exe. You have to unzip it first before you can run the program.
iPhone1,2_4.0.2_8A400_Restore.ipsw – latest iOS 4.0.2 firmware file, 305.4MB. You can download it HERE.
iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw – iOS 4 firmware file, 292MB. Click here to download.
If you have these files on your PC, then you are set.
Jailbreak iOS 4.0.2 using RedSn0w
Step 1. Connect your iPhone 3G to your PC or computer; doing so will automatically launch iTunes (If it does not launch iTunes automatically, start your iTunes manually).
Step 2. Select your iPhone 3G on the “Devices” section of iTunes. Hold the Shift Key while you click on the “Restore” button.
Step 3. Now, go through the folder where you downloaded the latest iOS 4.0.2 firmware (iPhone1,2_4.0.2_8A400_Restore.ipsw). Click on the “Choose” button and let iTunes update your iPhone 3G with the latest firmware required.
Step 4. Now it’s time to launch the RedSn0w application. Try to go through the folder where you have unzipped the RedSn0w zip file you downloaded (redsn0w_win_0.9.5b5-5.zip).
Step 5. You will now be asked to choose for the right IPSW file. Simply click the “Browse” button and navigate through the folder where you’ve downloaded the iOS 4 firmware file (iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw).
Note: Choosing the iOS 4.0.2 firmware will result to the following error message: “Unable to recognize specified IPSW.”
Step 6. RedSn0w will verify the IPSW or firmware file. Once it can detect you’ve chosen the right one, it will tell you that IPSW is successfully identified. You just need to click “Next” to proceed. After which, RedSn0w will now prepare the required jailbreak data.
Step 7. The next window will let you choose the features you want included after the jailbreak process. You will be given 7 options and 4 of which are already checked by default. They are as follows;
- Install Cydia
- Enable Multitasking
- Enable homescreen wallpaper
- Enable battery percentage
- Verbose Boot – it provides more detailed information to iPhone users, however, this may not be necessary for ordinary users.
- Custom Boot Logo – as what the name denotes, you can use your own boot logo if you choose this option. You should remember to use .png either in grayscale or RGB bearing 320×480 resolutions.
- Custom Recovery Logo – it should have the same properties as with custom boot logo.
Step 8. By clicking on the “Next” button, you will be prompted to turn your iPhone 3G Off and plug it into your PC. Just follow the instructions and, once again, click on “Next” button to proceed.
Step 9. The next step will tell you to put your iPhone into DFU mode. Fortunately, redSn0w is also designed to guide you through this process; just follow the screenshots below…
Step 10. Your iPhone 3G should reboot. After which, RedSn0w will now begin the jailbreaking process.
Step 11. A window below will appear once the jailbreak is done. Clicking on “Finish” button will exit the RedSn0w; it will also reboot your iPhone 3G which may take up to 5 minutes. Once your gadget is up, you will be seeing a Cydia app on the home screen which means the jailbreak is successful.
This guide is for Windows users only. I am now working on the step-by-step guide in jailbreaking iPhone 3G for Mac users. I hope this one will work for you as it did for me. Anyway, feel free to leave comments or suggestions below.