At last, I have laid my hands on iPhone 4. I only have 3GS running on iOS 4 and I don’t expect to actually do the jailbreaking and unlocking of the latest release of iPhone 4. The process has been smooth and as easy as jailbreaking an iPhone 3GS, so, if you will do this yourself, you can always be sure it works.
Why should we jailbreak and unlock iPhones, anyway? That is exactly what my friend asked me before we did the processes. It seems to me that there are still a lot of people who do not know the very purpose why we jailbreak our iPhones. Therefore, before we proceed with the jailbreak, allow me to cite some reasons why majority of iPhone users have jailbroken and unlocked their gadgets.
- You can use Swirly MMS and xGPS on Jailbroken iPhones
- You will have plenty of custom notifications and sounds you can use
- You can play PlayStation, NES, and Game Boy games if you like to
- You can stream and record live videos
- You can watch television shows without a charge
The point is, there are hundreds of possibilities how you can use your iPhone if it is jailbroken; it feels as if you are freed from being hindered or limited with how you use your gadget. To cut the chase, let’s proceed with the jailbreaking and unlocking process.
iPhone 4 Jailbreak Process
The first you need to do is to jailbreak your iPhone as preparation for the unlocking. I want to introduce to you the tool I used; JailbreakMe, developed by iPhone Dev Team. Here is how to jailbreak your iPhone 4;
1. Launch the mobile Safari on your iPhone and open http://www.jailbreakme.com. It is a browser-based tool and we do not need to download and install something. If the previous URL does not work, try going to http://jailbreakme.modmyi.com.
2. To start the process, simply slide the “Slide to Jailbreak” slider.
3. You should know, especially if you haven’t done this before, that jailbreak process takes several minutes to complete. After which, you will be notified that Cydia is available on your iPhone; it means the jailbreaking process is successful.
4. That’s it! Your phone is already jailbroken.
After these steps, you will be ready for the next one – unlocking.
iPhone 4 Unlocking Process
The JailbreakMe has become so popular overnight because of its simplicity yet effectiveness in jailbreaking iPhone 4 and other devices. However, the iPhone Dev Team found it necessary to upgrade their tool to unlock the UltraSn0w.
The updated version of UltraSn0w will enable your iPhone 4 to use other or any carrier without a problem. The basebands 01.59.00, 05.11.07, 04.26.08, 05.12.01 and 05.13.04 are the ones which UltraSn0w supports. Other than these, you should not pursue the process.
1. First off, launch Cydia.
2. Tap on the “Search” option and type “ultrasn0w” in the field.
3. Once the search results are displayed, you can tap on “Install” to activate the app.
4. Reboot your iPhone after the installation, and that’s it! Your iPhone 4 is unlocked and you can use any carrier you like.
What if I cannot Find the Package?
Here’s what you should do if things like these happen;
1. Launch Cydia then tap on “Manage” and go to “Sources.”
2. Tap the “Edit” button then on the “App” button.
3. In the field, type this URL: http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com and tap “Add Source.” Cydia will automatically verify it and register the repository URL. After that, just tap on “Return to Cydia.”
4. Once the URL is registered, tap “Done” and you will now be able to find the package to install.
I have tested this process on a new iPhone 4 and everything will work fine as long as you follow the steps.