Don’t be fooled by the simple layout of Google page. The search engine is much more powerful than you think. In this guide, I will cover some of the ways you can use to perform a power Google search, and get almost everything out of it (yes, I really mean everything).
- AND (same as “+“)
All words that are linked by the “AND” (in caps) are included in the search results.
eg. cats AND dogs, cats +dogs (do not put a space behind the “+”)
(Google seach all terms by default, so the “AND” operator is unnecessary)
- OR (same as “|”)
Put a “OR” between the search terms to fetch search results that contain either of the terms
eg. cats OR dogs, cats | dogs
- ” ”
A ” ” quote denotes a phrase and can also be used to include stop words such as “and”, “to”, “a”, “an”. All the terms inside the ” ” will be included in the search results.
eg. “raining cats and dogs“
Put a – (minus sign) in front of the word/phrases to exclude the word/phrases
eg. “cats and dogs” -”raining cats and dogs” will show result that contains “cats and dogs”, but exclude the phrase “raining cats and dogs”
Put an asterisk (*) to represent a missing word
eg. “raining * and dogs”
Put a tilde ~ in front of your search term to include synonym terms in the search result.
“~cats” will fetch you result containing cats, animals, pets, breeder
- Setting number range
Put a “..” (double dot) in between number terms to denote a range.
“eg. “computer $500..$1000“, “vintage car 1960..1990“
Search relating to sites
- intext: Fetch search results that have the search terms in the body text of the page. Example: To find webpage that have the term “google search” in the body text, type intext:google search
- inanchor: To search webpages that have the search term in hyperlinks. eg. inanchor:widget
- intitle: To search for pages that have the search term in the page title. eg. intitle:power google search
- filetype: Finding a file of specific file type. eg.hotel filetype:doc
- site: Search only a particular site. eg. site:maketecheasier.com
- Define: Find a definition for a term that you don’t know. eg. define:internet
- related: Find results that is related to the search term. eg. related:www.ferrari.com (Find websites related to the Ferrari website.)
- info:Find information about a site. eg. info:www.ferrari.com (Find information about Ferrari website.)
Google search as a calculator
Simply type in the figures that you want to be calculated and Google will fetch you the result.
- Type in 1+1 and Google will return the result 1+1=2. You can also type in “one plus one” and get “one plus one=two”.
- ^ denotes square. eg 2^20
- sqrt() denotes square root. eg sqrt(16), or simply type square root of 16
- sin(), cos(), tan() denote trigonometry functions. eg. sine(30 degrees), cos(60), tan(45)
- ln denote logarithm base e. eg. ln 7, ln(7)
- log denote logarithm base 10. eg. log 7, log(7)
- lg logarithm base 2. eg. lg 7, lg(7)
- ! denote factorial. eg. 2!
Google search to find movie showtime (only for US)
You can use Google search to find the movie showtime, which theaters, location and average reviews, ratings.
movie: lord of the ring
Google weather search
You can use Google to find the weather forcast for your region.
Type in “weather new york” or whatever place that you are staying to find the weather condition.
Google stock quotes search
stock: followed by the stock exchange symbol for the stock you’d like to follow. For example, to see a stock quote for Google, type stock: goog
Google phonebook search (for US only)
Type in phonebook: your name location to display a list phone number of the person living in that location.
eg. phonebook: damien new york
Google Time search
To find out what time is it now in other countries, type time:country
You can use Google search to convert a number of things including currency, length, weight, distance, time etc.
- US$5 to euro
- 1 meter to inch
- 2.3 years to days
- 6 hours to sec
Is there anymore Google search tips that I did not cover? Tell us about it in the comment.