Owning a Mac is cool and I do feel proud about it, but seeing how some Mac users take their Mac for granted pissed me off. This post serves to vent my frustration and also as a guideline to teach others how to handle their Macs (and themselves).
1) While Mac OSX is still one of the safest operating system in the World, it doesn’t mean it is safe from virus/malware/spyware attack. The last thing that you want to do as a Mac user is to be so gullible and grant permission to executable files in email (or whatever). Be proactive in protecting your Mac and yourself.
2) Having a cool Mac doesn’t make you a better person, so stop thinking that you are superior/better/smarter than a PC user. While this doesn’t apply to everyone, I did encounter some Mac users that make use of every opportunity to put down PC users. I just can’t stand it! It is fine to be a proud Mac user, but never be a smug user. It doesn’t reflect well on you.
3) There have been plenty of tutorials that teach you how to install Mac OSX on a PC, so treat your PC friend well, they might be using Mac OS X on their system. (do not detest them because they are hacking the Mac OS on their PC. Think of it this way, if Mac OS is not good, they wouldn’t be bother to install it on their system in the first place.)
4) Stop arguing with your PC friends that Mac is the best. Let them try it instead.
5) Be truthful to non-Mac users that Mac does not allow you to do everything, anything. It is still not a good platform for high end gaming.
6) Don’t whine over the fact that the mp3 you bought on iTunes can’t play on any music player other than the iPod (or any devices by Apple or in partnership with Apple). Apple is doing a good cause to protect the copyright of the songs you purchased.
7) Learn to ask. There is a huge community of Mac users that are sharing their expertise and knowledge in forums, blogs and wiki. If you don’t know anything about your Mac, just ASK.
8) Contribute. If you are a Mac power user, share with others. Don’t be a selfish Mac user.
9) Read about the commonly made mistake by Mac users and don’t make the same mistakes.
10) Love your Mac.
Receive the latest update in your inbox.