If you have wanted to rip a DVD in a format suitable for your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPod and in all Operating Systems, then HandBrake is the one for you.
Handbrake is an open source DVD ripping software available for all platforms. It is able to convert DVD to MPEG4 (or H264) format and is fully compatible for your iPod/iPhone/iPod Touch.
End users with little or no technical experience will find this software easy to use as the interface is simple and little configuration is required. It also comes with several preset options such as AppleTV, iPhone/iPod Touch, iPod, and if there is no option of your choice, you can even set up your own custom preset for your own needs.
Some of the features include:
- Dolby Digital 5.1 (AC3) sound in MP4 files, for a true DVD experience on the AppleTV and in Perian.
- Multi-track audio support for Apple devices
- iPhone-compatible anamorphic video at its full size
- Variable frame rate encoding with detelecine filtering
- More flexible, “loose” anamorphic video
- MP4 optimization for progressive web downloads
- Dynamic range compression for encoding from AC3 audio
- Robust program and transport stream support
The latest version of HandBrake is 0.9.2.
For Mac users, the 0.9.2 version is only for Mac Leopard 10.5.
For Linux users, there is only a command line interface version. Those who are looking for the GUI version should grab HandBrakeGTK instead.
Receive the latest update in your inbox.