WordPress just released a new update version 3.5, which includes a huge UI change to the media manager – among many other things. Creating image galleries in WordPress 3.5 is now much easier than it was in previous versions.
Let’s take a look at the process:
1. Create a new blog post (or page) or edit an existing post (or page) and click on the “Add Media” button at the top of the blog editor.
2. Click on “Create Gallery” in the left column. You’ll need to add the images that you want to use in your gallery.
You can do this by dragging and dropping them to the media manager, or selecting the files from your computer. Remember that you can select more than one image at a time, by holding the “Ctrl” key on your keyboard while selecting your images.
3. Add a title, caption, alt text, and description to your images as needed.
4. If you want to remove an image from your gallery (maybe you changed your mind about it), just uncheck it (see screenshot below).
5. Click on the “Create a new gallery” button at the bottom of the media manager.
6. Next, you can add captions to your images if you haven’t already and rearrange the order of your images via drag-and-drop.
7. Don’t forget to customize your gallery settings. You can choose what to link your images to, the number of columns to use, and enable random ordering of your images if you’d like.
8. Click on the “Insert Gallery” button.
9. A placeholder will be inserted into your page or post. If you ever need to edit your gallery, just click on the placeholder and then click the “Insert Gallery” icon at the top left corner.
That’s it. You may want to preview your gallery to make sure everything is the way you want it. As you can see, the process is pretty straight forward and user-friendly.
Receive the latest update in your inbox.