Facebook has recently released a Groups feature that allows you to organize your friends, family or colleagues into mini communities. Within these communities, you can share posts, links, create events, contact each other and many other things without making your content public.
Why you need to setup a Facebook group
The main reason is, of course, privacy issue. Your Facebook account probably contains all your friends (or acquaintances) from different aspect of life: work, college, family, etc. What you share inside Facebook might not be applicable for everyone in your friend list. With groups, you can now decide who get to view your posts.
Other useful features include:
Group chat – This is akin to a chatroom where everyone in the group can see and chat with each other.
Group email – sometime when you want to organize an event, it is difficult to remember everyone’s name at once. With the group email, you just need to send out to one email address to reach all the members in the group.
Share photos/videos/links/docs – You can share posts/videos/photos/links/docs to the members of the group. This is especially useful for project collaboration.
How to create a Facebook Group
1. Head over to the new Facebook Groups page. Click the “Create Groups” button.
2. In the popup window, enter your new group name. In the Members field, as soon as you start typing, your friend list will start loading and you can choose the members of the group from the list.
3. The last input field is the Privacy field, also the most important field. There are three choices that you can choose from: Open, Closed, Secret.
Open – Members and content are public. Your group (and its members) will be available to the public. All your group posting can also be seen by everyone. Most of the time, this is not the option that you want to choose.
Closed – Your group (and its members) is visible to the public, but the content within the group is private.
Secret – The group (including its members and all the postings) is invisible to the eyes of the public.
When you are done, click “Create”.
4. Go to your Facebook Home page. You should see your newly created group on the left sidebar. Click on it to go to the Group page.
5. On the top right hand corner, click on the “Edit Group” button.
6. Click on the “Setup Group Email” button. This will allow you to create a group email address where all the members within the group can use it to communicate with one another.
7. On the left sidebar, click on the “Profile Picture” link. This will bring you to the option page where you can upload profile photos for the Group.
8. That is about all you need to do to setup a Facebook group.
Have you started using the Facebook Groups feature? Is it useful to you? Let us know in the comments.